Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Man does not live by theme parks alone

Throughout the years that he's attended Lotusphere, George has enjoyed lots of fabulous food. During that same period of time, I jealously listened to him describe delicious meals with co-workers while I fixed chicken nuggets and mac and cheese for the kids. That was about to change.

Sunday evening George had a meet and greet at the beach area at the Swan, so I wandered around the property, checked out the gift shop, and talked with Elizabeth on my cell until it was time for our 7:30 reservation at Il Mulino, an upscale Italian restaurant. George had eaten there before and he said it was excellent . . . he was right.

The hostess showed us to our table. As I sat down, she removed the white napkin from the table in front of me and handed me a menu. She did the same for George, except she placed his napkin back down on the table and then she walked away with mine. Hmmm, what gives? I said to George, "she just walked off with my napkin." So, he reached over to the empty table next to us and grabbed one for me. Problem solved. We were looking over the menu when I glanced up and saw the hostess walking towards our table carrying a black napkin, which she presented to me. She had noticed I was wearing dark slacks and brought the black napkin so I wouldn't get white lint on my pants. Obviously George and I haven't been dining at any top notch restaurants recently.

Our server brought a basket of warm crusty bread and an amuse bouche of marinated eggplant. We shared a salad of mixed greens, fennel, carrots, and red onions in a light vinaigrette. George chose the special -- striped bass with butternut squash puree and herbed gnocchi. I opted for Bucatini Amatriciana -- bucatini pasta with rendered pancetta and onions in a marinara sauce. The serving was extremely generous and I was only able to eat half of it. At the end of the meal we were both full enough that we regretfully passed on dessert.


5 comments:

Katherine Marie said...

was this the end of the post? i feel like it wasn't, though it's not like there's something wrong if it was intended to end here. maybe i've been studying way too much tonight...eek. brain meltdown.

lvoes.

Annette B. said...

No, that's the end. I didn't take a picture of the restaurant or my meal, so that's really all there is. After dinner we walked around the Boardwalk and then watched the fireworks that were visible from Epcot.

lvoes to you.

Katherine Marie said...

:))

tehe...my word verification for this comment post is latte...i've never seen a real word for one of those things.

Annette B. said...

I love the word verifications! This must be an "L" day because my wv is "latiome."

: )

Katherine Marie said...

we should start writing collaborative poems with the word verifications. :)) my word today looks polish.