Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tomorrowland is so much fun!

I really like the focus on the future and action of Tomorrowland. I even enjoy the slow (some would say boring) pace of the Carousel of Progress. Stitch's Great Escape! is just scary enough and Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor is hilarious. This visit one of my favorite attractions was Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.

Buzz Lightyear -- what a man! . . . errr, toy.

While I wasn't quite an outer space sharpshooter, I did manage to score a respectable 111,000 points to earn the rank of Interplanetary Pilot.

Of course, my all-time favorite Tomorrowland attraction is Space Mountain. My love for Space Mountain dates all the way back to last century, Spring Break 1978 to be exact.



The sign says Space Mountain, but on the day I visited the Magic Kingdom, it almost changed to Disappointment Mountain. Even though I picked up a fast pass practically as soon as I entered the park, my entry time for the ride was between 5:10 p.m. and 6:10 p.m. Throughout the day I enjoyed lots of rides and shows, but, in the back of my mind, I was thinking about riding Space Mountain. I wandered through Fantasyland, Frontierland, Adventureland, and more than a few shops until finally it was time for me to blast off.

As I approached the ride, there were crowds of people gathered around the stand-by entrance, but I wasn't worried -- I had a fast pass! Then I realized that there were also crowds of people gathered around the fast pass entrance and neither group of people were moving. Space Mountain was experiencing "technical difficulties" and the ride was shut down "indefinitely." Oh nooooo! I hadn't been able to ride Splash Mountain because it was "temporarily dry" (doesn't that sound like a drunk in between trips to the liquor store?) and now I might not be able to ride Space Mountain either.

I decided to camp out by the fast pass entrance and hope for the best. George agreed that he could be patient if I couldn't meet him for dinner at Downtown Disney at our scheduled time. Persistence paid off and half an hour later Space Mountain was up and running again, and it was just as incredible as I remembered it from twelve years ago. : )

2 comments:

The Accidental Boilermaker said...

I think I remember riding space mountain

Anonymous said...

I never figured out how to work the controls when I went on Buzz Lightyear, so I ended up with 0 points at the end of the ride - is that even possible? So....your score is absolutely impressive!